Dark Chocolate Cherry Almond Love Balls
Makes ~ 15 balls in 10 minutes
Fashioned after ketogenic “fat bombs”, these tasty little vegan treats are low carb, free of gluten, grain, dairy and sugar, but rich in coconut oil. One or two are all you need to feel satisfied. They’re packed full of phytonutrients and antioxidants from the cacao and dark cherries. The most important thing is to keep them cool enough to form into balls, then refrigerate until serving. You may even freeze them for transportation and serve chilled. If you’re sensitive to almonds, substitute coconut flour…just enough to hold the balls together.
- ½ cup coconut oil, softened enough to work with
- ½ cup frozen dark cherries, thawed, drained* and chopped
- 3 tablespoons cacao powder**
- 3 tablespoons blanched almond flour (or coconut flour)
- ¼ teaspoon powdered stevia, or a few drops of liquid stevia (or Lou Han)
Gather and prep all ingredients. Mix the cacao powder and almond flour into the softened coconut oil. Fold in the chopped cherries. If mixture becomes too moist, dust with a little more almond flour and cacao powder or place in the refrigerator for 5 minutes to harden. Then, using a small ice cream scoop or tablespoon, form into 1 inch balls and place in mini-muffin papers or on a cookie sheet. Keep refrigerated until serving.
Note: you can make a mix of spices like cinnamon, cardamom, ginger and ground nuts to roll them in, but I like them just as they are!
* Reserve cherry juice for a before bedtime drink to support a good night sleep
** Cacao beans are the source of cocoa powder; but this recipe uses unsweetened 100% Dutch cacao powder, found in the bakery isle
SALLY LAMONT, ND, LAC